Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Sago Palm (Cycas revoluta)

Please check whether you have this type of plant at home?
Beware, if you may have this plant at home .
The plant is called a Sago Palm and its highly poisonous to both pets and
humans. A chemical in the plant called cycasin is toxic and often causes
permanent liver damage as well as neurological damage if enough of the
poison is absorbed by the body. The seeds are the most poisonous part of
the plant and the effects on humans are seizures, coma and death. Of
course you and I wouldn't just yank off a chunk of this plant and gnaw on
it but the seeds are colorful so if you have kids and Sago palm in your
yard educate them on the danger or get rid of the plant. Fortunately our
dog was one of the lucky ones. I later discovered that our dog vomited the
plant in the yard soon after swallowing it, and after 2 days in the vet on
IV, and having a ball of charcoal inserted in his stomach, a test revealed
that his liver was recovering and he came home. Sadly few people are aware
of how dangerous this plant, many have lost their dogs, and even many
veterinarians are unaware. This plant doesn't carry a warning label and is
becoming popular in Walmart, Lowes, and Home Depot so spread the word.





No comments: