Thursday, April 17, 2014

DO'S AND DON'T AFTER TOOTH EXTRACTION


First and foremost before you undergo tooth extraction:

1. NEVER DRINK ANY PAIN RELIEVERS i.e., ibuprophen, paracetamol, mefenamic acid, acetaminophen.
2. REVEAL TO YOUR DENTIST any medical conditon so special procedure may be arranged such as, heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, arthritis. and special anesthetic solution may be used to prevent complications.
3. BRING RADIOGRAPHS requested by your dentist.
4. Acquire the necessary medical clearance.
5. NEVER DRINK ANY ALCOHOIC BEVERAGE as this may interfere with the effeciency of the anesthetic solution.
6. Reveal to your dentist if you have any medications being taken to prevent adverse reactions with medications to be used by your dentist

WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER EXTRACTION:

1. Swelling may reach it's maximum up to 48hrs and may last for 3-5days.
2. Slight bruising of the gums and other soft tissue is expected.
3. Slight bleeding may be experienced for several hours which can be controlled by biting on a gauze.
4. Some discomfort may be experienced but is controlled by pain relievers as prescribed by your dentist.

WHAT TO AVOID AFTER EXTRACTION:

1. Avoid rubbing the area with your tongue.
2. Avoid sucking or drinkingthrough a straw as this may dislodge the blood clot.
3. Avoid smoking.
4. Avoid eating hot food for it may promote bleeding and spicy foods.
5. Avoid foods that requires excessive chewing.
6. Avoid strenous activity such as; running, sports and even sex.
7. Avoid spitting.
8. Avoid brushing teeth on the area of extractionfor at least 12 hours.
9. Avoid rinsing or gargling vigorously.
10. Avoid carrying heavy thing or your child.

WHAT TO DO AFTER EXTRACTION:

1. Bite on a pack of gauze for at least 30mins to control bleeding. then remove gently.
2. Be on a cold, soft diet for the next 3-5days
3. Apply cold compress on the area 3-5 hours after surgery for 20mins within 24 hours to lessen the swelling.
4. Drink plenty of water and juices.
5. Get enough rest at least 8-10hours.
6. Keep your head elevated with at least 2 pile of pillows.
7. For stitches, your dentist will give you instructions as to when to come back.

REMEMBER:

1. Drink pain relievers almost always with a full stomach and with a glass of water as needed ONLY for pain.
2. Drink prescribed antibiotics according to the number of times per day, number of hours interval and number of days.
It is important to complete the antibiotic therapy to avoid the development of resistance of the infection or further infections.

VISIT YOUR DENTIST OR GO TO A HOSPITAL EMERGENCY ROOM IF:

1. Pain can not be controlled by the pain relievers.
2. Swelling progresses after 3 days.
3. Bleeding can not be controlled by biting on a gauze.
4. You have a fever.

22 comments:

John Howard said...

I had a tooth extracted by the dentist a couple of months ago and it felt really different. My tongue would always to to the spot where the tooth was. After a little while I got used to it so it wasn't a problem. http://www.dentistedwards.com

Claudia Rosenburg said...

I definitely recommend putting a cold compress on your face immediately after getting your teeth extracted. I did that when I got my wisdom teeth removed and my face didn't swell at all.
Claudia Rosenburg | http://aqdentureservice.com

Roger Pace said...

I appreciate you sharing this info! I've been wanting to know what what happens when extractions happen and this gave me what I was looking for. So far this site and http://www.alldentdental.net/extractions/ have been the most helpful.

Cynthia Rhose said...

I have probably broken the ladder of these rules when I have a tooth pulled. I have never heard warnings like this before thought. This was more than a little eye opening.
Cynthia | http://www.drlowedentistry.com

DentalCare Canada said...

Nice description have been given before you undergo tooth extraction treatment. Proper precaution can take care of your tooth. Thanks for sharing the list of, how to take care of the tooth before extraction and after extraction. Our team of dentists offer proper teeth extraction burlington to the patients suffering from pain and swelling. We even offer emergency services.

roger taylor said...

Tooth Extractions in Pickering are performed for variety of reasons, but most common reason to remove teeth which have become unrestorable through tooth decay, periodontal disease or dental trauma. After a tooth extraction, dentist in Pickering usually recommend to revolves around not disturbing the blood clot in the socket by not touching the area with a finger or the tongue.

bryan flake said...

I have a shunt/tube in my brain that drains spinal fluid from my skull. I need to get my wisdom teeth extracted. I am worried that the tooth extraction may cause infections? Is this something to bring up with the wisdom tooth expert?

bryanflake1984| http://www.alldentdental.net/extractions/

Megan Jones said...

I had to have a tooth pulled once. I don't remember much because they put me under for the procedure. Though it wasn't too bad because I just went to sleep, woke up, and it was over.
http://packhamfamilydentistry.com/services/

Jak Manson said...

It is really good to know the do's and don't after a tooth extraction. That way it can heal fully and the right way as well. You want thing to heal perfectly and quickly without and troubles, so knowing how to take care of things is going to be in your best interest.
http://aqdentureservice.com

Sara Welsh said...

I had my wisdom teeth taken out about two years ago, and my dentist had prescribed that I only have soft foods for the first few days I was recovering. When I got home, I went straight to bed because I was still still tired from the drugs and the emotional trauma I was experiencing post-surgery. Finally, after hours of sleeping, I woke up and went straight for the orange chicken in the fridge. Without going into detail, take it from me, don't eat orange chicken after having your wisdom teeth removed.

Sara Welsh | http://www.prairiemalldental.ca/

George Jefferson said...

My younger brother just had his wisdom teeth removed. I was actually jealous of his experience because he recovered much quicker than I did when I had mine removed. Everyone's body reacts differently to something like that. My cheeks were swollen for quite a while and he was eating solid foods the next day. http://www.collegestation-dentist.com/dental-services/wisdom-teeth

Casey Jones said...

I didn't realize that alcohol could interfere with the anesthetic. I am getting some teeth removed tomorrow. I guess I will skip the red wine for dinner tonight and make sure I don't have any beers tomorrow during the game. Thanks for the advice on what to expect during a tooth extraction.
http://www.williamguthriedds.com/procedures/simple-tooth-extractions/

Dental Care US said...

Some restorative methods such as Dentures call for removal of teeth in some cases. Due to trauma or decay, a tooth may incur irrecoverable damage. It shall be removed to guard the surrounding teeth from damage and to make way for certain dental procedures such as implants. Thanks for sharing such interesting details about Tooth Extractions and clearing the doubts about this procedure.

Adair Argo said...

After all other options have been explored, Dr. Amin would recommend a tooth extraction Quebec dentist only in the most extreme of cases where another method of saving the tooth is not available. Thanks for sharing such informative article on tooth extractions.

Rita Cantu said...

I just had a tooth extracted,,my partner n i are very sexually active so this means no sex for how long?

Disha Chandrikapure said...

Good amount of information and well written blog post. Surely this blog post has clearly stated all the information a dental patient would need to know before going for the dental extraction. My sister recently lost her tooth in an accident. While looking for dental implant india I came across lot of information on the entire procedure. With more research, now i am confident enough to take my sister for the extraction of other broken teeth. Now that i know all the procedure and the risk factors, i am sure to take better care of her.

shashi said...

On good topic you have written here, check my post here anti wrinkle injections tunbridge wells

Adaline DIaz said...

Thanks for such a well-written post. My sister will get hers removed in a day or two from colorado springs dentist. The doctor said it is necessary because there isn’t any space in her mouth for it. The tooth can cause gum disease since food particles are getting trapped behind it. Also, it has the possibility of damaging the surrounding bone or even getting a cyst near the tooth. But after reading this blog I can remove her fears and make her feel confident.

Johnny Reble said...

Here are the basic do's my dentists has suggested me during post toothe extraction. Avoid hot food or drinks until the anaesthetic wears off. This is important as you cannot feel pain properly and may burn or scald your mouth. Also be careful not to chew your cheek. This is quite a common problem, which can happen when there is no feeling.

If you do rest, try to keep your head higher for the first night using an extra pillow if possible. It is also a good idea to use an old pillowcase, or put a towel on the pillow, in case you bleed a little. You can also read my review on my complete experience.

General said...

Great Tips For More Information
wisdom teeth guys

Pinky Barrios said...

i just had my wisdom tooth extracted a while ago, my dentist gave me medicines for pain, anti-biotic and to stop my gum from bleeding. My friend held my cold hands during the entire procedure comforting me so i won't have my panic attack and to get nervous. It worked, and we ate an ice cream after and he gave me cold compress on my cheek (where my toot was extracted). Dentist told me not to do any strenuous activities including swimming and sex. I was just not informed until when...

Jack Orlova said...

Great information, love reading your blog. Great share!
Dentist in Delhi, Best Orthodontist in Delhi